[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Eris

Daytona 500

7 posts in this topic

I have actually been to the Daytona 500 Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida. My grandparents live 2 miles from it, and on race days you can actually hear the engines running! Has anyone ever actually gone to the event, the Daytona 500? I would love to sometime!

Eris. Hello & Welcome to motorsport.travel!

You definitely should go once (at least). I have been there about 10 years ago with my son. Being from Europe, it was my first race I've attended in the US. Not comparable with European events. There's just so much more show, so much more offered to the fans and everybody really seems to enjoy himself, including the staff working at the track up to the police men around the circuit. I remember, we just asked an officer who was actually busy with something else for the way and my son was immediately honored with a deputy sherif star. That was the highlight of his day (he was just 7 that time) :) Of course there was world class racing on the track as well! 

I hope you'll manage to go there. No so long anymore... less then 3 weeks.

Jeffrey

Hi Eris! I am from the United States too, and love watching the Daytona 500. I've never been to the track before. Or for that matter, I've never been to any of the tracks! If you do end up making it there this year, hope you have a great time!!

I won't be able to make it this year, unfortunately. Not nearly enough time to plan a trip to that extent or come up with the expenses. I am hoping to plan a trip next year though!

Jeffrey, I am glad that you & your son had the opportunity to attend a race. I'm sure it's something neither of you will ever forget!

Did you all catch the race this past weekend? I thought it was great! Congrats to Joey Logano on his big win at the Daytona 500. He is turning out to be a fantastic racer, I'll be watching him more closely in the coming weeks.

Just chiming in here. I watched the race this past weekend, and thought it was pretty good! Logano ran a great race, and most definitely deserved to win. Job well done, my friend!

I have to say, it looks like a great spectacle and Jeffrey's comment that the vibe there is friendly is encouraging.  As a UK motorsport fan, I'd have to budget pretty carefully though (air fare is SO expensive!!) - is it possible to buy packages with tickets and accommodation?  What kind of area is Daytona, away from the track?