[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
docspin

On a cold wet hillside...

7 posts in this topic

I live in North Wales, so couldn't pass up the opportunity to see some rallying in person last year.  But being Wales - and being November - it was not the most comfortable viewing experience.  Never have I been so glad to have good walking boots, waterproof trousers and a windproof coat!  But I suppose that's all part of the atmosphere, and I'm sure I'll be back again this November.  :lol:

Sounds cool - I've never understood with rallying though, do you buy tickets or just turn up and watch from wherever you like?  It sounds unlikely that any organisation would pass up the chance to make money from ticket sales.  

No you're quite right - they do charge for tickets (though thankfully not Bernie Ecclestone prices!).  I assume some people must try to turn up and watch from the side if they know the area well enough, but I myself bought a forest ticket for the Clocaenog stage and also went to the 'RallyFest' stage at Chirk Castle.  Two very different experiences but both very enjoyable - better facilities at the castle, obviously!  

I guess that for insurance purposes they can't let anyone just wander in, as they might get too close to the road and put themselves in danger.  Wasn't there something in the news a while back about an accident involving spectators somewhere?  Scotland maybe?  

You're remembering this story I imagine.  Terribly tragic thing to happen, but I don't think it would have made a difference whether people have tickets or have sneaked in - a spectator is going to stand where they get a good view, and unfortunately in that case it was the wrong place.  

It could be me being naive, but it seems so unnecessarily reckless to let people be so near the action.  Like, how many documentaries have there been about the era in F1 when horrendous accidents killed multiple spectators (was it in the 60s? maybe the 50s?) - the sport learnt from it and changed things because it's just not acceptable for the audience to be at risk.  I get that you can't build grandstands to watch rallying because of its nature, but that surely isn't a reason to shrug shoulders and allow the spectator risk to continue?  

I don't think turning up and watching would do any good as the organizers would ensure that every good viewing point is filled up. It is always better to buy tickets to ensure that you get a good viewing experience. Besides, I think that would also insure against accidents as the viewing places must be identified by the organizers.